Woman Gets Five Years in Pikesville Harassment Case

Pictured is Noam and Leah Efron’s home on Northbrook Road, where police shot Stephanie Kamlot in May 2013 after she produced a replica gun. (David Stuck)

Pictured is Noam and Leah Efron’s home on Northbrook Road, where police shot Stephanie Kamlot in May 2013 after she produced a replica gun. (David Stuck)

A woman was sentenced to five years in prison Tuesday in Baltimore County Circuit Court for assaulting, stalking and burglarizing a Pikesville couple.

Stephanie Kamlot, 41, was given 10 years with all but five suspended by Judge John Turnbull II. She pleaded guilty Feb. 4 to second-degree assault, stalking and fourth-degree burglary. She must also pay $1,200 in restitution to the victims.

The case culminates what started almost two years ago in February 2012, when Noam and Leaf Efron first received prank calls at their Pickwick apartment. The various incidents that transpired between that time and May 2013 included razor blades being placed under the couple’s tires, a stroller being stolen and Kamlot assaulting Leah Efron at Seven Mile Market.

The last incident occurred in the early morning hours of May 12, 2013, when Kamlot threw a rock through the Efrons’ home in the 3100 block of Northbrook Road. When police arrived, she produced a semi-automatic handgun replica and was shot by police three times. The gun was determined to be a pellet gun. Kamlot was hospitalized and then incarcerated and has been in jail ever since.

“Keeping her incarcerated is really the only way at this point to keep the Efrons safe,” said Joe Dominick, the Baltimore County state’s attorney who prosecuted the case.

Noam Efron’s parents said it was a nightmare for the family.

“We were constantly looking over our shoulders,” Bracha Efron, Noam’s mother, said.

Noam Efron said he is one step closer to closure, but this is something that will take his family a while to recover from.

“We’ve moved on a little bit, but it’s something there isn’t really a resolution to because you don’t know why it happened,” he said. “Someone came to my house with a gun. That’s hard to live down.”

While Efron’s mother hoped for Kamlot to be completely rehabilitated, she had doubts about that possibility.

Kamlot’s lawyer, Marc Snyder, tried to enter a plea of not criminally responsible, hoping for a sentence involving treatment, but that plea was rejected after an evaluation showed Kamlot to be competent.

Kamlot addressed the court on Tuesday, saying she was “embarrassed” and “ashamed.”

“I would like to express deep regret for my actions,” she said. “No words can describe the remorse I feel.”

Snyder described Kamlot as a good person with a good heart who was the victim of abuse at the hands of her father and stepfather. She spent a few years working at Safeway, was a sales representative at Coca-Cola for almost 10 years and volunteered for the American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals. He said his client plans to move back home to Tennessee after she serves her time.

“I hope the Efrons can get on with their life and have some piece of mind, and my client is going to do everything she can do to see that she can live a productive life from this day forward,” stated Snyder.

Michael Meurer, who has known Kamlot since she was 19 and calls himself her best friend, said Kamlot is extremely regretful.

“She doesn’t know how this happened, why this happened, not to minimize what happened to the Efrons,” he said.

Meurer said Kamlot was trying to commit “suicide by police” the night she had that replica handgun. A hearing for a prior incident was scheduled for that following Monday, and she had a nervous breakdown, he said.

“Her intent was to be killed, to die,” said Meurer. “She had lost everything.”

Time served since May 11, 2013 will be credited to Kamlot’s five-year sentence.

“If all goes well, she should be looking at possible release in 18 months to two years,” said Snyder, explaining that good behavior could shorten her sentence.

In a previous interview, Noam Efron said Kamlot ruined his life for two years. For him, it’s hard to find satisfaction.

“I feel good about it that some justice was served,” he said. “It’s kind of weird, I feel like her sentence was a little shorter than I wanted it to be.”


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *